Balancing and Supporting Our Doshas With Essential Oils
Fall has come to Calgary and with that we are weathering the wild swings of climate that our city is known for. This is a perfect time to focus on balance, as Calgary’s autumn season brings cool, clear, bright mornings and hot afternoons filled with sun; but also cold, rain and sometimes snow as well. It’s a lot to adjust to on a daily basis!
Fall and winter bring our Vata to the forefront, while our Kapha (the cold) and Pitta (the heat) benefit from the balancing effects we can draw from essential oils. In general I recommend using warm, spicy and invigorating oils to get yourself going in the morning, and then sweet, cooling, uplifting and calming oils in the afternoon. You can also employ the following oils in the diffuser, room sprays, body oils or rollerballs and reap the benefits.
- Lavender and Palo Santo are key at this time of year, with the former offering balancing effects and the latter helping to calm, relax and centre.
- Bergamot will help you focus.
- Geranium smooths rough edges.
- Jasmine and vetiver offer cooling.
- Ylang ylang is sweet and uplifting.