You're in for a treat with these brownies! As part of a friendly workplace challenge, we asked staff members to draw a mystery spice out of a jar and come up with a recipe to show it off. Sage pulled chili flakes, and we are SO glad she did. These brownies have a little kick to them and are everything you want them to be and more - chewy, rich, and covered in caramel. Bonus - they're vegan!
Spicy Salted Caramel Brownies (vegan)
* Available packaging-free at The Apothecary and online through Mobile Refill.
** DAM Oat Milk concentrate available packaging-free at The Apothecary and online through Mobile Refill.
METHODTo prepare the brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Lightly oil a 12” x 17.5” pan and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. If using coconut oil, melt before adding to other wet ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chili powder.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Once mixed stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth out the top with a moistened spatula.
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until surface cracks appear.
8. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. The brownies will set as they cool. While the brownies are cooling, make the caramel sauce.To prepare the caramel:
1. Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Add sugar and stir around the pot for about 1 minute to heat through.
2. Add the coconut milk (just the fatty white part, do not use the liquid milk) and sea salt stir to combine.
3. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer at low medium heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. It should be sticking to the back of your spatula or spoon.
4. Remove pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes and pour onto cooled brownies.
5. Let caramel cool for 10 more minutes and then sprinkle with coarse sea salt and chili flakes. Use as much as you would like!